Friday, November 7, 2008

SAS Participant Killed

To my friends and family:
Not sure if you've received any information on this or not, I just found out this morning.  One of my friends, Kurt, was killed last night in a traffic accident in Hong Kong.  I knew him, laughed with him, and have many memories of this voyage with him.  The SAS website describes him as easy going, kind, and gentle.  He was all of these things and more.  He had wit and was always lookin out for others.  I remember in Namibia one late night he spent a good half hour making sure I had a place to sleep, and that I was taken care of.  It's still a bit surreal, hard to imagine that this could happen to any of us.  We are so fragile and yet on a trip of a lifetime, sometimes we forget and assume invincibility.  Please keep his family and all of us on the ship in your prayers.  I love you all so much.

-mason

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Oh Mason, what a tragedy. I will certainly keep all of you and his family in my prayers. Life is such a precarious thing and we don't often remember that. My heart is with you, Mason. Wish I could just be there.

Anonymous said...

My dear son, we are so sad and sorry for this bad news. It is hard to accept on an adult/parent level, and hard to know that you all are dealing with this and reallizing the fragile life we all lead. Prayers for you and your friend's family. Sending so much love, mom and paul

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mason, I just feel the need for a "gramma hug"! I know it couldn't comfort you in this terrible time, but it would make me feel better just to be trying. I'm so sorry you and your ship-mates have been hit with this dose of reality. One thing you can all be sure of --- he was having the time of his life! This isn't some-thing any of us expected --- it's not like going to war. Life is a fragile gift. Each day is a blessing! You know my prayers and my love are with you. Gram

Ken Peterson said...

Hi Mason,

Please accept my heartfelt condolences. I am Geoff Peterson's dad (He has dreads). We actually met Kurt and his family at teh Fish Fry in the Bahamas. Everything the web site said about him was true. His family s just as nice. We are truly devastated by this news and are praying for Kurt's family and for you students that knew him. Such an awful thing to go through at your age. I'm truly sorry and I wish there were something I could do to ease the pain you are all feeling.

Ken Peterson

Anonymous said...

Mason:
I am so saddened by your news re: Kurt. Life is so fragile, one moment can change so many lives. We all mourn at the loss of a young person with the full potential for a wonderful future and that future is tragically extinguished. We feel so helpless, but that is life and life is not fair.

Andy Clayton said...

praying... praying... praying... that's all i know to do brother! looking forward to your safe return!

`Andy